The Hunter and The King

Footsteps deftly stalk this Ancient Woodland,
Eyes to the ground,
Ears cocked for any sound.
Cautiously you move, searching your prey,
Trees rustling in the wind,
Whisper to you “This Way”.
Slight sound to your left,
A brittle twig cracks,
Crouched and ready, stopped in your tracks.
A shadow moves, from where the sound came,
You raise your bow slowly, ready to take aim.
In a clearing in the Forest with mist hanging low.
A Majestic creature appears in sight of your bow.
Circling this clearing, the Great Stag tread,
A Royal crown of Antler upon his head.
Then suddenly turned and stared me down,
Let loose a bellow, Antlers to the ground.
Then stood in silence, peering back at the Wood,
I lowered my bow, fully understood.
For out of the shadows, another did appear,
The Forest King's Consort, 'twas for Her, he did fear.
Then the Stag turned again and looked my way,
I saw the thanks in his eyes for sparing him this day.
So I bowed my head in mutual respect,
And turned to the Woods, not looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment